I included this image more for the narrative and the lesson than for the image itself. This is an Anchor Worm (Lernea species) that I removed from one of my Pond Comets. Unfortunately, when I removed it, I didn't realize that the worm's head remained attached inside the fish. I treated the wound with salt and formalin, but several days later the wound became infected and septicemia (blood poisoning) set in. Without its head I didn't recognize the worm as a Lernea species under the microscope. The inset shows what I should have seen.

Anchor Worms should be dabbed with turpentine, which causes the worm to release its hold. Then it can be removed safely with tweezers.

Back To Image Index Page